
So, this has been my first semester back at college. I've been an engineer, a teacher, and a lifelong learner. I had success as a math teacher, I believed, primarily because I loved being in the classroom and my students knew that. They knew I loved my work and that I loved them. What I have learned through this course is that my success was actually in large part due to using strategies that are proven effective because of how the brain operates! I've always tried to stay up to date on what works with students, but now understanding WHY these strategies work I am so thankful for the insight.

Going forward I will be more explicit with my students. Yes, taking breaks during lessons works, but now I can explain WHY (frontal lobe fatigue and time for the brain to wire!). Exercise and movement helps learning (oxygen flow is increased and movement is a pathway for learning!). Discussing strategies is metacognitive work, and isn't metacognition the ultimate goal?!?


So glad you were a part of this class! Have a great summer.
ReplyDelete